Thursday, October 18, 2012
November 19 Meeting
The meeting will be held on Monday, November 19 at 7:30 pm. Women who are pregnant, nursing, or just interested in learning more about breastfeeding are invited to join us in the Hospitality Center of the First Presbyterian Church, 20 Kings Highway East. Babies are always welcome at our meetings, and there is no charge to attend.
La Leche League Philosophy
· Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
· Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
· In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother, which is as basic as his need for food.
· Breast milk is the superior infant food.
· For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
· Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
· Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
· Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby's father. A father's unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child's development from early infancy.
· Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
· From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
La Leche League Membership
Both La Leche League International and our local Haddonfield group depend on your support to continue providing the services you depend upon. Your membership helps cover the costs of mailing meeting notices, updating and maintaining the library, and other organizational expenses. If you have been helped by the practical and emotional support of our group, please consider becoming a member. Dues are $40 annually. For more information about membership, please call Peggy Stedman at 795-2092.